Progress continued on drawing four big cats.
I completed the lioness and I am very happy with the way she turned out.
Progress then turned to the other three cats. I began with the leopard that had a startled expression. Having continued to layer up the fur and refine the detail I thought the expression would soften. It hasn’t… it still has a startled look. At first, I admit I was a bit unsure. But now I am now OK with it. It is good to capture emotion within a drawing rather than always portraying a perceived perfection. The expression did provoke discussion which is always welcome.
After good progress, I then did some more work on the tiger.
Thankfully with the inclusion of the eyes, it is now looking a lot less ghoulish. Usually, I am building up the texture of brown, black or grey fur and therefore combining all the different oranges, yellows, and reds with cinnamon and terracotta to build a plush tiger coat has been quite a challenge.
Being so engrossed in this, I did not do my usual of rotating between drawings. I find rotating between different drawings worthwhile as it lets you figure out where to go and what to do next. Not taking that time to consider a drawing can lead to mistakes. This nearly happened with the tiger as the area around the mouth was in danger of looking like he was recovering from an anesthetic after a trip to the dentist!
As well as that near miss, the result of not rotating between drawings is that no further progress has been made on the cheetah.
I will now give the tiger some space and will continue with the cheetah and the Leopard.
Hopefully, all three will be completed next week